The Carriage House, completed with the Mansion in the 1880’s, was built to hold horses, hay, feed, and carriages. At that time to reach Cylburn, the Tysons, the original residents, traveled from their city home by train along the Jones Falls (today’s Light Rail track). The Tysons and their guests were met at the train stop by horse-drawn carriage and taken ½ mile uphill to the mansion. This route is now Cylburn’s Woodland Trail.
Rebuilt Carriage House
The original Carriage House burned to the ground in 1912, leaving only the walls and a porch. It was rebuilt the following year with a design that left off the cupola and used dormers for the second story windows instead of full windows. It was also updated to handle storing cars. Edyth had a 1910 Pearce Arrow, which they managed to save from the fire. It also housed horses until the 1940s because Cylburn's gardeners used horse-drawn mowers to mow the vast lawns.
Carriage House Today
In 2007 after 3 years of closure, The Nature Museum was moved from the 2nd and 3rd floors of the Mansion to the ground level of the Carriage House to accommodate all visitors. Mr. Robert Dwight of Annapolis, an avid birder, public educator and engineer was instrumental in the re-opening of Cylburn’s Nature Museum.